How do I teach the kids song “Are You Hungry” to kids? Caitie demonstrates the gestures and shares some activity ideas for this original food vocabulary song from Super Simple.
Try some of these ideas in the classroom or at home!
- This is a great song to sing in a group during circle time! The teacher can sing, “Are you hungry?” and give each student a turn to say “Yes, I am”. Then the student can come up with a type of fruit, or any kind of snack, and the whole class can sing the “yums” all together.
- Try using hand puppets when you sing this song. Students can take turns asking the hand puppet if it is hungry and feeding it a piece of toy food. This is also a great opportunity to review “please” and “thank you!”
- Feel free to introduce other food vocabulary items when you sing the song – use any food you like!
- For a fun circle time activity, place a basket of toy fruit in the middle of the circle. Ask each student, “Are you hungry?” If they say “Yes, I am”, have them pick out a piece of fruit from the basket and identify it, saying, a banana! Or an apple! Be sure to have enough different pieces of fruit so everyone can have a turn.
- Try using the call and response format of the song to introduce other types of questions, like are you sleepy, and maybe explore other answers students can give too.