Caitie is sharing helpful tips for learning in the classroom or at home using the song Counting Up To 20 from Super Simple Songs! She sings the song and shows us gestures for the key vocabulary words, too! This a fun way to teach and review counting beyond 10!
Try these ideas in the classroom or at home!
- Play this song in the background on the days leading up to a lesson about counting to 20. By the time it comes to teach those numbers, they might have already absorbed some of the information just by having heard the song play a few times!
- This song is excellent for counting practice. Write the numbers on the board and point to them as you go when you sing the song as a group.
- Or use flashcards and flip through them as you sing!
- Once your students are familiar with the numbers 1 to 20, give them number flashcards all mixed up, and have them place them in order. You can play the song if they need some help, or to check their work when they are done.
- Counting can be more engaging and interesting when we’re counting actual items. Put together a few groups of items for your students to count. You can use small toys, crayons, rocks, jellybeans, anything at all!
- For a fun guessing game, have your students guess how many items there are, then count them together as a group.
- Turn this song into an active activity by doing a movement with each number. You can jump, or flap your arms, along with the song as you count up to 20. As the song gets faster, you’ll have to do the movements faster to keep up, making it extra fun.