Caitie is sharing helpful tips for learning in the classroom or at home using the song Picked A Strawberry from Super Simple Songs! She sings the song and shows us gestures for the key vocabulary words, too! This a lovely song finger play song filled with fun counting practice!
Try these ideas in the classroom or at home!
- This is a wonderful song to sing during the summer months!
- It’s also a great song to practice counting. Sing it to review or practice numbers.
- There are simple finger play movements that go along with this song as we pretend to pick strawberries. Follow along and encourage your students to pretend they are picking, washing, and eating the different berries!
- For a fun group activity with more counting practice, draw a big berry bush on the board and place some berries on the bush. You can make simple berries by cutting out circles from construction paper. As a group, count how many berries are on the bush. Then pick some of the berries by taking them off the board, and count how many there are now. Continue to remove or add berries to the bush for lots of fun counting.
- You can also review some colors with the different colors of berries. In this song, we sing about blackberries, blueberries and strawberries and raspberries which are red. If you have a berry bush on the board with different colored berries, you can ask your students to pick a certain kind and they’ll have to identify the correct color of the berry before they pick them.
- For a simple and fun independent activity with counting practice, give your students a green piece of paper with a bush drawn on it, some colored pom poms, and a dice. Have them roll the dice and then place that number of pom poms, or berries, onto the berry bush. Once their berry bush is filled up, have them start to pick the berries off! They can roll the dice and pick that many berries off their bush.