Caitie is sharing tips for using the preschool song “Pizza Party” in the classroom and at home for lots of fun learning with little ones. She has lots of great ideas! And she’ll lead us through the song using gestures – an excellent way to introduce a song to children. “Pizza Party” takes little ones through the steps of making a pizza, encouraging them to play along!
Try these ideas in the classroom or at home!
- This is a great song to introduce some cooking skills! Encourage little ones to follow along with the actions to learn the steps to making a homemade pizza.
- If you are making pizzas at home, play this song in the background and follow the steps to make a real pizza!
- This is a great song to play on Pizza Day at school or during a party before the pizza is served.
- Once your students are familiar with the song, divide them up into groups and have each group sing a different verse. Everyone can sing the pizza, pizza party part of the song together and have lots of fun with it.
- Try picking six students to come to the front of the classroom and give each of them a different gesture from the song. Then, mix them up so they are out of order. Have the rest of the students work together to put them in the right order so the pizza gets made properly. Once the students are in order, you can play the song to double-check that everyone is in the right spot!
- Try bringing out some kitchen props or toys, like bowls and wooden spoons, or a chef’s hat! Let your little ones interact with the props while the song plays in the background. They can use their imagination to create different pizzas or other delicious dishes as they pretend to play in the kitchen.
- Ask your students what toppings they like on a pizza. You can make a tally of the different toppings they like and see which one is the most popular.
- Try making a pizza craft! Little ones can draw a plain pizza on a piece of paper and cut out different shapes for the pizza’s toppings. You can practice counting by putting on a certain number of toppings, practice colors by putting on a certain color, and even practice shapes if your toppings are certain shapes, like a circle for pepperoni or a triangle for pineapple.
- For a fun role-play activity have your students open up a pretend pizza shop! Some students can place orders and other students can make the pizza. You can use our Restaurant Pretend Play Order Forms and our Felt Pizza Craft & Activity to help bring your pretend pizza shop to life!