Caitie is sharing tips for using the preschool song “Sitting On The Potty” in the classroom and at home for lots of fun learning with little ones. She has lots of great ideas! And she’ll lead us through the song using gestures – an excellent way to introduce a song to children. “Sitting On The Potty” is a fun song to help encourage little ones to use the potty!
Try these ideas in the classroom or at home!
- This song is great to use at home during potty training, or in the classroom to familiarize your students with the concept of using the potty. Play it often and sing along so little ones can be introduced to the potty and going to the potty in a fun way.
- You might like to use a rewards chart to help keep track of your little one’s progress as they potty train – we have a free printable potty chart you can use! Each time your little one interacts with the potty positively in any way, they can receive a sticker and work their way up to filling in the whole chart.
- In the music video, we can see all the elements of using the potty. Of that initial feeling we get when we have to go, of going to the potty, flushing and washing our hands. As you watch the music video, point out these important parts of using the potty to your little ones. The more you talk about these steps, the better your little one will remember and recognize them when the important moment comes.
- Try having your little one role play with a stuffed animal while this song plays in the background. They can act out their stuffed animal getting the feeling of having to go, then have them go to a pretend potty, flush and wash their hands afterwards. By acting it out with a toy, they have the opportunity to practice all the elements of potty time without any of the pressure when they actually have to go. This can make it a more fun and enjoyable experience to play along with the song before doing it out for real.
- When your little one is sitting on the potty and having their potty time, encourage them to sing a verse from the song. The fun verses from the song can help make the big moment more playful and less scary. Plus they get to show off how well they sit on the potty as they sing.