Learn how to teach the Super Simple Song “The Alphabet Chant” to preschoolers. Caitie will be sharing some of her activity ideas on how to teach this easy-to-follow ABCs song for kids. This song is perfect for ESL, EFL, preschool, and kindergarten classes!
Try some of these ideas in the classroom or at home!
- Place the letters of the alphabet on the wall or board (you can use our ABC flashcards!) and have students point to the letters as they chant.
- Once your students are familiar with the song, replace one of the letter with a silly image, like a frog. Now when you get to that image as you chant, instead of saying the letter, have your students jump! Repeat as many times as you like, covering up more letter with frogs to make it more challenging as you go.
- When singing this song, it is important to properly enunciate each letter, and even exaggerate the way your mouth moves as you speak. Students can watch and learn how to speak and pronounce the letters themselves by watching you.
- Turn this into an active song by marching or jumping around the room to the beat. As the beat gets faster each verse, the song becomes more active!
- Use our ABC flashcards and have your students put them in order. Listen to the song to check their work or if they need help.
- For students who have mastered the alphabet, challenge them to sign the letters in The Alphabet Chant using American Sign Language.