Caitie is sharing helpful tips for learning in the classroom or at home using the song “The Fish Go Swimming” from Super Simple Songs. She sings the song and shows us gestures for the key vocabulary words, too! This a super fun song to teach little ones about simple addition and counting up to 10… just be careful of the shark!
Try these ideas in the classroom or at home!
- This is a great song to review and practice counting. You can follow along with your fingers, or flashcards!
- This is also a great song to introduce rhyming words. Try clapping on the words that rhyme to help them stand out.
- For older students, see if they can make up new rhymes that fit into the song. Bonus points if the rhyme has to do with being underwater.
- This song has a great beat, it’s super fun to move around to. Encourage your students to get up and move around the room, pretending to swim using their arms as the song plays.
- For a fun movement game, have your students sit in a circle in the middle of the room. Pick one student to stand up and have them pretend to swim like a fish around the circle as you play the song. After each verse, another student can get up and join the first fish swimming around the circle. And now there are two! Keep going until there are ten fish swimming around together. You, the teacher, can be the shark and come into the circle pretending to chomp at them, making them swim faster!