Caitie is sharing tips for using the preschool song “Walking In The Forest” in the classroom and at home for lots of fun learning with little ones. She has lots of great ideas! And she’ll lead us through the song using gestures – an excellent way to introduce a song to children. “Walking In The Forest” is a super fun and active song that includes lots of helpful vocabulary including active vocabulary, counting to three, and words like stop, look, and listen.
Try these ideas in the classroom or at home!
- This is a great song to get up and moving! You can have everyone stand in a line and take turns being the leader, or have everyone walk around in a circle.
- If you have your students move around the room in a line, let your students take turns being the leader and coming up with new ways to move. You can even include other movements, like tiptoe or hop – whatever they can think of!
- If you have a very large group, have your students make a circle, and do the actions on the spot, but have them take the three steps forward into the circle, and the three steps back out to where they started.
- Place pictures of different forest animals around the room, partially hidden, and walk as a group around the room chanting or singing, walking in the forest, walking in the forest, walking in the forest, walking in the forest. Then say stop! What’s that? And point to one of the animal cards. Name the animal together as a group. If the animal makes a sound, try making the sound together as a group, too.
- Walking in the Forest is a great song to introduce the words forwards and back, and to practice moving in different directions, too. Before you sing the song, practice taking three steps forward and three steps back together. You can also pair this with the Super Simple Song Seven Steps for more forward and back movement.
- This is a great song for an outdoor theme. Encourage your students to look and listen when they go for a walk outside to see what they can see and hear. If you have a spot to go for a walk together, you can go as a group and see what you can find!
- This is also a great song for reviewing different senses. In this song we focus on looking with our eyes, listening with our ears, and smelling with our nose. Talk about these senses and others with your students. Another great song about the five senses is With My Heart.