With summer here, we should celebrate all things sun, fun and sea! And what better way to bring the ocean to life than by making these Octopus Pizzas with your kids at home. Not only are they a creative lunch option, but they also come with a lesson. You can talk about the sea: what creatures live in it, and how we can be good care takers while we make them. Now that is what we call eating with purpose!
The best part of these Octopus Pizzas is how easy the tentacles snap off, especially for a toddler. Kids will love ripping each one of them off and nibbling on them individually.
- 1 store bought pizza dough
- 1/2 c. pizza sauce
- 1 c. mozzarella cheese (for the head)
- sliced black olives (for the tentacles and eyes)
(may be substituted with green peppers slices, mushroom slices, etc)
- 4 slices pepperoni (for the eyes)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough in half. Each half will make 1 octopus.
- Divide the dough again. Shape half of that dough with your hands into an oval shaped for the octopus head. Using the other half, cut into 8 strips for the tentacles.
- Place the dough head on one of the baking sheets. Place the tentacle pieces along the bottom half of the head, gently firming the dough down.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- Remove and cover the head and tentacles with pizza sauce.
- Spread out the cheese evenly on the head and place the sliced olives on the tentacles. Add the pepperoni and olive eyes.
- Bake another 6 minutes and then broil for 3 minutes or until nice and brown.
- Repeat for the second octopus.
Cara Ansis is the creator behind the site Fork & Beans, a site decided to making fun and kid-inspired recipes. She encourages moms and dads to let their kids play with their food! She is also a cookbook author. Cara resides is Chicago, IL with her husband and 11 month old son. Follow Cara on Instagram or via her blog: http://www.forkandbeans.com/
Original content © 2018 Super Simple. Not to be reprinted without express written permission. Terms of Service.