Caitie is sharing tips for using the preschool song “And The Green Grass Grew” in the classroom and at home for lots of fun learning with little ones. She has lots of great ideas! And she’ll lead us through the song using gestures – an excellent way to introduce a song to children. “And The Green Grass Grew” is a super fun cumulative song that explores nature and provides a fun sing-along challenge!
Try these ideas in the classroom or at home!
- This is a great song for introducing and reviewing the nature vocabulary grass, woods, hole, tree, branch, nest, egg, and bird. Introduce each word before singing the song with a picture and the gesture.
- This song is super fun to move along to! Practice the gestures and your tree grows bigger and stronger as you sing along!
- This is a repeat-after-me song so encourage your little ones to repeat by cupping your ear with your hand after each line.
- Try drawing a picture of a tree on the board and pointing to the different parts of the tree as you sing along.
- Have your students draw a picture of a tree being sure to include all the different parts from the song.
- You can also try making a tree craft, like this Stand Up Tree Craft!
- This is a great song if you are teaching or reviewing colors – you can use it as an example of the color green. Ask your students if they can think of other things that are green like the grass!