Try these ideas in the classroom or at home!
- This is a cumulative song which means each verse gets longer and more challenging. It’s a fun challenge to try to master singing along with your students!
- It’s also a great movement challenge to follow along with the gestures which can be found in the How To Teach video above. You can also have fun coming up with new movements to keep it fresh.
- Once your students are familiar with the song and are getting the hang of it, try dividing your students into six groups, one group for each verse or item in the song. As you sing the song each group will be responsible for singing only their part of the song. For example, one group will be the giant puddle, another the little mouse, another will be the bowl of jelly, the dancing chicken, the kangaroo, and the train. As you sing the song, each group will sing their sound and do the movement for their part on their own. This provides a different kind of challenge for little ones! They have to remember when it’s their turn and sing at the right moment, being sure not to interrupt another group’s part. This can be a super fun and silly new challenge for their brains and bodies.
- When you’re first starting to sing this song, try putting pictures of all the items of the song up on the board. A picture of a puddle, a little mouse, a bowl of jelly, a dancing chicken, a kangaroo and a train. Point to each image as you sing so your students can see what’s coming up next – it will be easier for little ones to follow along. It’s important to remember that if students aren’t singing along right away, that’s okay. Start by focusing on the movements and the words will come later.
- Once your students are familiar with all the gestures, you can try silly Toodly Doodly Doo charades! Have students take turns coming to the front of the class and doing a movement from the song without speaking. The other students have to guess which part of the song they are doing. The student who guesses correctly can have the next turn.
- Another great way to bring the song to life is our Toodly Doodly Doo Play Set. Print it out, put it together, and follow along with the song for a miniature musical adventure.