Caitie is sharing tips for using the preschool song “What’s Your Favorite Flavor Of Ice Cream?” in the classroom and at home for lots of fun learning with little ones. She has lots of great ideas! And she’ll lead us through the song using gestures – an excellent way to introduce a song to children. “What’s Your Favorite Flavor Of Ice Cream?” explores the question “what’s your favorite”, giving students lots of opportunity to practice the common phrase as they sing along.
Try these ideas in the classroom or at home!
- We like to use gestures whenever possible, but coming up with gestures for different flavors of ice cream can be difficult, so feel free to come up with fun dance moves instead!
- In the middle of the song, we list a bunch of different flavors of ice cream. As you sing this song, let your students take turns shouting out the different flavors! Or have your students listen to the song and raise their hand when they hear a flavor they like.
- Talk about different favorite flavors with your students. Go around the circle and give everyone a chance to talk about theirs.
- Try making a tally or a chart of all your student’s favorite flavors of ice cream. You can count how many people like the same flavors and ask questions like which one is the most popular? How many different flavors were mentioned? This is a great way to add in some simple math practice.
- This song uses the phrase ‘what’s your favorite…?’ a number of times. Ask your students what some of their other favorite things are or have them bring in a favorite thing from home for show and tell. You can also divide your students into groups and have them ask each other questions about their favorite things using the vocabulary ‘what’s your favorite?’ for lots of practice using the popular phrase.
- In the song, we sing about lots of yummy flavors of ice cream, but can you think of any yucky flavors? Try singing the song Do You Like Broccoli Ice Cream? to give your students some ideas of what a yucky flavor of ice cream might be, and then see what other silly ice cream flavors they can come up with!
- For a fun crafty activity, try our Let’s Decorate Ice Cream Cones craft! Encourage your students to make cones of their favorite flavors!