Today is Pancake Day!
Also known as Mardi Gras or Shrove Tuesday, this tradition dedicated to everyone’s favorite breakfast food is observed on the Tuesday that falls forty days before Easter. To celebrate, why not join us in making some Bumble Nums inspired delicacies featuring everyone’s favorite chefs – Humble, Stumble and Grumble. We know they’ll be a crowd pleaser! YUM!
But first, here are some fun pancake facts:
Did you know there is an entire family of pancakes? From fluffy pancakes to crepes, blinis and bannock, they all have one thing in common – flatness! Pancakes have been around since the days of ancient Rome. With famous references in works such as Shakespeare’s As You Like It (1623), and the common catchphrase “flat as a pancake” that has been in use since the early seventeenth century, it’s safe to say one of the world’s most popular breakfast foods has some longevity.
Served for breakfast, brunch or even supper, there are many ways to eat pancakes! In North America it’s common to eat your pancakes with maple syrup and butter, but in Sweden they might be topped with lingonberries, in France with sugar and lemon and in Turkey with feta and jam! What is your favorite way to enjoy them?
Bumble Nums Pancakes
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk of choice
- 1 egg
- 2 – 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- extra oil for cooking (coconut oil is recommended)
- various food colorings (in Bumble Num colors: purple, teal and orange)
- red apple skins (for mouths)
- white icing (for eyes)
- rolled/pressed fondant, icing or chocolate chips (for eyebrows, smiles, black of eyes)
- food-safe scissors
- medium-sized circle cookie cutters or egg rings
- mini circle cookie cutters
- other mini cutters (optional)
(see top image for reference)
- Serves 3 – 4
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients and mix to get some of the lumps out but don’t overwork your batter!
- Divide batter into 3 different bowls and use food colorings to dye batter until you reach shades of orange, purple and teal that are several shades lighter than the main Bumble Nums colors.
- These first shades will serve as your accent colors*
for example: cheek circles, and half circles for bellies
- Next, heat a skillet on medium heat and grease with oil.
- Cook lighter pancakes like you would a normal pancake; cooking until tops begins to bubble, and then flipping until cooked through on both sides. Once done, remove from skillet, and set aside.
- Return to your 3 divided batter bowls, and add in more color until your remaining batter colors are the main shades of orange, purple and teal to resemble the Bumble Nums
- For these main pancakes, scoop your pancake batter into your egg rings. If you’d prefer to cut your circles out with cookie cutters after, just make pancakes slightly larger than your cutter.
- Repeat the above steps until you have used all batter.
*Please note: You will only need to make one lighter pancake for every two Bumble Nums pancakes.
- Cut small circles for cheeks, and half circles for their bellies out of lighter pancake pieces. Put lighter pieces on top of main circles.
- Use icing or rolled/pressed fondant to make eyes, eyebrows and other additional features. You can substitute chocolate chips or leftover pancake pieces for these features as well.
- For mouths, use apple skins, or get creative, and put your own touch on these fun little faces.
- YUM! It’s now time to enjoy your breakfast!
Be sure to reference the step-by-step photo tutorial to help you assemble each Bumble Num Pancake. Have little helpers that are eager to get involved in the kitchen? Prepare all the pancake pieces and decorations in advance, and have them help assemble!
Get creative with different expressions for each pancake. Another way to add more whimsy to your pancakes is to cut small hearts and stars using mini cookie cutters out of the leftover pancake trimmings to add decorations to the plate.
Don’t forget to share your colorful creations with us! We’d love to see them. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, and hashtag your Humble, Stumble and Grumble faces with #BumbleNumPancakes and #SuperSimpleOfficial.
Lunches + Littles focuses on quick, healthy and fun meal options for little ones. One of our goals is to share practical tips and tricks on how to make meals fun, all the while keeping things simple. A mantra of sorts: Making meals fun doesn’t have to be hard! With 3 little ones (4 and under) it can’t be! Joy Miles is the creator behind Lunches + Littles. Follow her on Instagram.
Original content © 2019 Super Simple. Not to be reprinted without express written permission. Terms and Conditions.