Caitie is sharing tips for using the preschool song “Butterfly Ladybug Bumblebee” in the classroom and at home for lots of fun learning with little ones. She has lots of great ideas! And she’ll lead us through the song using gestures – an excellent way to introduce a song to children. “Butterfly Ladybug Bumblebee” explores bugs that can fly in a simple song wonderful for fingerplay or larger movement.
Try these ideas in the classroom or at home!
- This is a simple song that is great for exploring bugs. Use it when you are exploring bugs and insects in the classroom. You can also pair it with other Super Simple Songs about bugs like the Itsy Bitsy Spider, Crawl Like A Caterpillar, and Roly Poly Roll.
- The bugs we explore in this song are all bugs that can fly! You can do the movements to this song while sitting down and using your fingers, or if you have the space, you can get up and pretend to fly around the room while singing for more active movement.
- Once your students are familiar with the song, try dividing them into three groups and have each group sing a different bug. Everyone can join in together during the chorus when we sing about all three of the bugs at the same time.
- Have your students draw pictures of butterflies, ladybugs, and bumblebees, and place them around the room. Put all the butterfly pictures in one spot, the ladybugs in another, and the bumblebees in another. Then sing the song and have your students pretend to fly to the different bugs around the room when they are singing about that bug!
- You can also use the pictures your students drew to make a matching memory card game! On the back of each picture, write a number and then place the cards on the board number side up, bug side down. Call on your students one at a time and have them pick two numbers to turn over. If the two cards turned over are a match, they get a point. If not, turn the cards back over and call on another student to see if they can get a match.
- Try making crafts of each bug, like our Symmetrical Butterfly Painting, Ladybug Rock Bugs, and our Create Your Own Beehive craft!